Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Speaking Out To The Mayor

Oh my gosh! We're speaking to the Mayor. This is so nerve racking, I've spoken to heaps of visitors but never the mayor. Sela, Tia and I were the Welcoming Committee. We went out to the front car park waiting nervously thinking if he was going to come here in a limo or something. We were chattering excitedly, also wondering if the mayor was going to show up or not.

Suddenly some man in a fancy car appeared driving past us staring, I was thinking who is he then I thought harder, that's the mayor of course. We raced to his car, when he said "where should I park my car?" We replied"just straight ahead I think.

As he came out we introduced ourselves and told him to follow us this way. Then Mr Banks spotted that we had a cow paddock right next to our school and thought it was really cool. Finally we went inside and it began.

I was feeling pretty confident then I was before. When we were at the end I was feeling really proud and happy when it was over. We all sat on the table and discussed what we could do to solve our problems.

In the beginning we talked about the issue how we have problems with our local pool and our own beach. What really had me hooked was when Mr banks invited our class as well as us to come to his office and have morning tea. He said this is a learning journey.

But before any of that can happen. First step of our learnig journey, we need to make a 15 min presentation to the community board. Then we would send an email to the chairperson Kate Sutton and copy it to the mayor. Next step we would state the issue and request an audience with the board. 3rd step if there's no action then we would go to the ACC Website and would have a council meeting or go to the events committee.

I felt really empowered when he told us this because we were working kids, just like young adults. Who would know where it can lead us to. Fame and fortune, we could be the mayor's secretary. I'm really looking forward to this interesting journey and the delicous morning tea after all the hard work. Isn't this a speacial event to look forward to.

No comments: